PhD,Associate Professor, Hangzhou Dianzi University, China
Room 335, Office Building 1
Grid and Services Computing Lab,
School of Computer Science and Technology,
Hangzhou Dianzi University,
1#, 2nd Street,
Hangzhou 310037, ZheJiang Province, China
email: cjiang (at) hdu (dot) edu (dot)cn
Hangzhou Dianzi University
Huazhong University of Science and Technology
North China University of Water Conservancy and Electric Power
Current Research Interests
Power Aware Computing Systems
Current Research Projects Details
1.Disk I/O Scheduling and Performance Optimization in Virtualized Systems
The Disk I/O subsystem becomes as the bottleneck of massive virtualized systems due to resource multiplexing and services consolidation. Hybrid HDD-SSD storage is a promising solution to address this challenge. In Hybrid HDD-SSD systems, SSDs serve as Caches for traditional HDDs or dedicated storage for exclusive applications, while HDDs are base storage devices tradeofffing among the I/O performance gains and total cost of ownership. However, traditional disk I/O scheduling strategies fail in such virtualized Hybrid HDD-SSD systems because of the heterogeneity and difference in performance and I/O operations in HDDs and SSDs respectively. In this project we plan to investigate the disk I/O performance model, performance,fairness, and quality of service aware disk I/O scheduling strategies, I/O performance optimization, and energy optimization in virtualized Hybrid HDD-SSD systems. Through fine-grained co-scheduling of HDDs and SSDs, the I/O performance will be improved for mass virtual machines and their energy consumptions are also optimized.
2. Power Aware Services Provisioning in Virtualized and Cloud Systems
In virtualized and cloud systems, resources are shared across multiple virtual machines (VMs), which results in contentions and even conflicting under heavily loaded or consolidated situations. In order to accommodate as many as service instances while still delivering performance guarantees, resource allocation should be optimized such that less resources will be utilized for a specific performance requirement. In the meantime, the performance requirements should be also satisfied under specific power constraints because many virtualized systems or data centers are equipped with fixed-capacity power supply. Therefore, power aware services provisioning under power and performance constraints are non-trivial and far from fully investigated. This research includes three key parts:
(1) Highly efficient power measurement and transmission by using wireless power meter.
(2) System and component level power-performance characterization based on extensive experiments.
(3) Power aware services provisioning and virtual machine placement strategies for virtualized and cloud systems.
(4) Prototype implementation.
3. Security-Aware and Fault-tolerant Job Scheduling in Grids and Clouds
In grids and clouds, distributed resources belong to different administrative domains. Job executions are usually carried out between many virtual organizations for faster execution or remote interaction. However, security is a main hurdle to make the job scheduling secure, reliable and fault-tolerant. Most of the existing proposed scheduling algorithms had ignored security problem while scheduling jobs onto geographically distributed grid sites. In a real life scenario, the assumption that the grid and cloud environments are safe and the resources are 100% reliable is no longer applicable for job scheduling in real grids and clouds. Thus security-aware and fault-tolerant heuristics must be developed to be used under failure-prone and risky conditions.
Moreover, existing job replication algorithms use fixed-number replications to provide fault-tolerant scheduling in grids and clouds. This causes two problems: (1) The algorithms utilize excessive hosts or resources when system security level is high, which makes the makespan and average waiting time of jobs rather longer; and (2) The algorithms can't provide sufficient fault-tolerance when system security level fluctuates in risky and failure-prone grid and cloud environments. Thus an adaptive job replication is necessary for real grid and cloud job scheduling.
1. On the Disk I/O Scheduling and Performance Optimization of Massive Virtual Machines Systems with Hybrid HDD-SSDs, National Natural Science Foundation of China, Grant No.61472109, 2015-2018. PI
2. Energy efficient job scheduling for multi-processor systems with Quality of Service constraints, National Natural Science Foundation of China, Grant No.61003077, 2011-2013. PI
3. Disk I/O scheduling in multi-virtual machines systems, Natural Science Foundation of ZheJiang Province, Grant No. Y1101092, 2011-2013. PI
4. Workload characterization in virtualized systems, Research Fund of Department of Education of Zhejiang Province, Grant No. GK100800010, 2009-2011. PI
1. A Geographic Information System for civil engineering project management. 2009-2010
2. An Online shopping website supporting massive users and products. 2008-2009.
3. A J2EE based manufacturing management system for hearing equipment production line. 2008-2009
Member of ACM
Member of IEEE
Member of IEEE Computer Society
Member of IEEE Communication Society
Member of China Computer Federation
10/2011-Present Associate Professor (Full time)
Java Programming Language
Fundamentals of Computer Science
11/2007-09/2011 Assistant Professor (Full time)
School of Computer Science and Technology, Hangzhou Dianzi University, Hangzhou, China
Java Programming Language
C Programming Language
Principles of Database Systems
Fundamentals of Computer Science
PHP Scripting Language
09/2005-12/2006 Lecturer (Part time)
School of Continuing Education, Wuhan University, Wuhan, China
Principles of Database Systems
Information System and Microcomputer Control Technology
09/2006-12/2006 Lecturer (Part time),
Department of Computer Science, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuchang Branch, Wuhan, China
ARM Embedded Systems
Services and Professional Activities
IEEE CloudPerf2015, IEEE HPDIC2015
IEEE CloudPerf2014, IEEE HPDIC2014
IEEE CloudPerf2013, IEEE HPDIC2013
IEEE PQoSCom 2012, IEEE CloudPerf2012, IEEE HPDIC2012
Local Chair: IEEE APSCC 2010
Local Sponsor Chair: IEEE IGSC 2016
Publicity Chair: IEEE CloudPerf2011
PC Member: WEWST 2011, ChinaGrid2011, ENC 2010 ,UNC 2010
Guest Editors: Cluster Computing(Springer), Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience(Wiley), Future Generation Computing Systems(Eslevier), Information Systems Frontiers(Springer), Computing and Informatics
Most cited surveys
1.Congfeng Jiang, Yuan Daomin, Yinghui Zhao. Towards clustering algorithms in wireless sensor networks-a survey, IEEE WCNC2009, Budapest, Apr. 2009.
Google Scholar cited 86
2. Congfeng Jiang, Cheng WANG, Xiaohu LIU, Yinghui ZHAO. A Survey of Job Scheduling in Grids, Lecture Notes in Computer Science Vol.4505 (APWeb2007), Huangshan, Jun. 2007.
Google Scholar cited 35
3. Yunfa Li, Wanqing Li, Congfeng Jiang. A Survey of Virtual Machine System: Current Technology and Future Trends. ISECS2010, Huangshan, Jul. 2010.
Google Scholar cited 76
1. Congfeng Jiang, Dongyang Ou, Yumei Wang, Xindong You, Jilin Zhang, Jian Wan, Bing Luo, Weisong Shi. Energy Efficiency Comparison of Hypervisors. Elsevier Sustainable Computing: Informatics and Systems (SUSCOM),2018. (accepted).
2. Congfeng Jiang, Jingling Mao, Dongyang Ou, Yumei Wang, Xindong You, Jilin Zhang, Jian Wan. Power and QoS Aware Multi-level Resource Coordination and Scheduling in Virtualized Servers. International Journal of Grid and Distributed Computing, 2016, 9(11):423-436.
3. 任永坚,沈之强,张纪林,万健,殷昱煜,蒋从锋.云计算系统中的块级别网络磁盘缓存技术研究.小型微型计算机系统,2016,37(3):499-504. .
4. Yanik Ngoko, Christophe Cérin, Paolo Gianessi, Congfeng Jiang.Energy-aware service provisioning in volunteers clouds.International Journal of Big Data Intelligence, 2(4): 262-284 (2015).
5. Zhou Li, Dong Chi, You Xindong, Huang Jie,Jiang Congfeng.Highavailability green gear-shifting mechanism in cloud storage system. International Journal of Grid and Distributed Computing,2015,8(5):303-314.
8. Congfeng Jiang, Liangcheng Duan, Chunlei Liu,JianWan,Li Zhou, VRAA: virtualized resource auction and allocation based on incentive and penalty, Cluster Computing, 2013.
9. Congfeng Jiang, JianWan,Xianghua Xu,Jilin Zhang, Xindong You,Resource Allocation in Contending Virtualized Environments through Stochastic Virtual Machine Performance Modeling and Feedback,Journal of Information Science and Engineering, 29(2), pp299-327, 2013.
10. Jiang Congfeng, Zhao Ying-Hui,PATPro Power Aware Thin Provisioning of Resources in Virtualized Servers, Applied Mathematics & Information Sciences:An International Journal , 7(1L), pp201-208, 2013.
11. Jian Wan, Jianliang Zhang, Li Zhou, Yicheng Wang, Congfeng Jiang, Yong-Jian Ren, Jue Wang: ORTHRUS: a lightweighted block-level cloud storage system. Cluster Computing 16(4): 625-638 (2013)
15. Congfeng Jiang, Jilin Zhang, Xianghua Xu, and Jian Wan. Application Power Characteristics Using Dynamic Frequency Scaling: Experiments and Implications. Advanced Science Letters, Vol. 7, 2012.
16. Congfeng Jiang, Xianghua Xu, Jian Wan. Security aware parallel and independent job scheduling in grid computing environments based on adaptive job replication, Journal of Networks, Vol.6, 2011.
17. Congfeng Jiang, Xianghua Xu, Jian Wan, Jilin Zhang, Yinghui Zhao. Power aware job scheduling with QoS guarantees based on feedback control. Journal of Software, Vol.6, 2011.
18. Xindong You, Jian Wan, Xianghua Xu, Congfeng Jiang, Wei Zhang, Jilin Zhang. ARAS-M: Automatic Resource Allocation Strategy based on Market Mechanism in Cloud Computing, Journal of Computers, Vol.6, 2011.
20. Congfeng Jiang, Jian Wan, Xindong You, Yinghui Zhao. Power aware job scheduling in multi-processor system with service level agreements constraints, Journal of Computers, Vol.5, 2010.
25. Cheng WANG, Congfeng Jiang, Xiaohu LIU. Fuzzy logic based secure and fault tolerant grid job scheduling, Tsinghua Science and Technology, Vol.12, 2007.
26. 刘小虎,蒋从锋,王乘.基于网格的分布式虚拟环境仿真.计算机工程与应用,2007,43(29):110-112. .
Conferences and Workshops Publications
1. Congfeng Jiang, Yumei Wang, Dongyang Ou, Bing Luo, Weisong Shi. Energy Proportional Servers: Where Are We in 2016?. 2017 the 37th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS 2017).
2. Congfeng Jiang, Dongyang Ou, Yumei Wang, Xindong You, Jilin Zhang, Jian Wan, Bing Luo, Weisong Shi. Energy Efficiency Comparison of Hypervisors.2016 the 7th IEEE International Green and Sustainable Computing Conference (IGSC 2016). IEEE, 2016:1-8.
3. Youhuizi Li, Weisong Shi, Congfeng Jiang, Jilin Zhang and Jian Wan.Energy Efficiency Analysis of Heterogeneous Platforms: Early Experiences.2016 Workshop on Energy-efficient Networks of Computers(E2NC):from the Chip to the Cloud.Hangzhou, Nov.2016.
4. Congfeng Jiang, Jian Wan, Hongyuan Wu,Wei Zhang,Jilin Zhang,Zujie Ren, Zheng Ye.Optimized Inter-domain Communications Among Multiple Virtual Machines Based on Shared Memory(Poster).2015 IEEE 7th International Symposium on High Performance Computing and Communications (HPCC),24–26 August 2015,New York,USA.(2015)
5. Congfeng Jian, Jian Wan, Christophe Cerin, Paolo Gianessi, Yanik Ngoko. Towards Energy Efficient Allocation for Applications in Volunteers Cloud. 2014 IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium Workshops (IPDPSW), pp.1516-1525,Phoenix,USA,2014.
6. Jia Gangyong,Yuan Youwei,Wan, Jian,Jiang Congfeng,Li Xi,Dai Dong.Temperature-aware scheduling based on dynamic time-slice scaling. 14th International Conference on Algorithms and Architectures for Parallel Processing(ICA3PP 2014).August,Dalian, China.pp.310-322.
7. Congfeng Jian, Jian Wan, Christophe Cerin, Paolo Gianessi, Yanik Ngoko. Towards Energy Efficient Allocation for Applications in Volunteers Cloud. 2014 IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium Workshops (IPDPSW), pp.1516-1525.(2014)
8. Jia Gangyong, Li Xi, Yuan Youwei, Wan Jian, Jiang Congfeng, Dai Dong.PseudoNUMA for reducing memory interference in multi-core systems.2014 Spring Simulation Multiconference, SpringSim 2014 - High Performance Computing Symposium, HPC 2014. pp.39-46, 2014.
9. Christophe Cerin, Congfeng Jiang, Yanik Ngoko, Paolo Gianessi and Jian Wan Modeling Energy Savings in Volunteers Clouds,CloudCom Asia 2013, Fuzhou,China,2013.
10. Jia Gangyong,Li Xi,Wan, Jian,Wang Chao, Dai Dong,Jiang Congfeng.Coordinate task and memory management for improving power efficiency.13th International Conference on Algorithms and Architectures for Parallel Processing(ICA3PP 2013).December,2013. Vietri sul Mare, Italy.pp.267-278.
11. Jian Wan, Jiawei Yan, Congfeng Jiang, Li Zhou, Zujie Ren, Yong-Jian Ren: Effective and Efficient Web Reviews Extraction Based on Hadoop. ICSOC Workshops 2013: 107-118 ,2013
12. Yong-Jian Ren, YouQing Lin, Jilin Zhang, Jian Wan, Congfeng Jiang: InfoStor: Highly Available Distributed Block Store. IPDPS Workshops 2013: 1981-1988,2013
13. Congfeng Jiang. System Level Power Characterization of Multi-Core Computers with Dynamic Frequency Scaling Support. The 2012 International Workshop on Power and QoS Aware Computing. IEEE Cluster 2012 Workshop Paper,2012.
14. Jilin Zhang, Liting Zhu, Jian Wan, Jie Mao, Xianghua Xu, Congfeng Jiang, Peng Di. An Efficient Parallel Implementation for Three-dimensional Incompressible Pipe Flow based on SIMPLE. IEEE/ACM CCGRID2012, Ottawa, May 2012.
15. Jian Wan, Fei Pan, Congfeng Jiang .Placement Strategy of Virtual Machines Based on Workload Characteristics. HPDIC2012, Shanghai, May 2012.
16. Jian Wan, Dechuan Deng, Congfeng Jiang. Non-Cooperative Gaming and Bidding Model Based Resource Allocation in Virtual Machine Environment. HPDIC2012, Shanghai, May 2012.
17. Congfeng Jiang, Xianghua Xu, Jilin Zhang, Yunfa Li, Jian Wan. Resource allocation in contending virtualized environments through VM performance modeling and feedback, ChinaGrid 2011, Dalian, Aug. 2011.
18. Ritai Yu, Congfeng Jiang, Xianghua Xu, Hui Cheng, and Jian Wan. Leveraging Tradeoff on Resource Utilization and Application Performance in Virtualized Systems. CSIE 2011, Zhengzhou, May 2011.
19. Ritai Yu, Congfeng Jiang, Xianghua Xu, and Jian Wan. Thin Provisioning of Virtualized Resources with Minimal Performance Degradation. ICHCC 2011, Singapore, May 2011.
20. Congfeng Jiang, Jilin Zhang, Jian Wan, Xianghua Xu, Yuyu Yin, Ritai Yu, Changping Lv. Power Aware Resource Allocation in Virtualized Environments through VM Behavior Identification, IEEE/ACM GreenCom 2010, Hangzhou, Dec. 2010.
21. Xu Hu, Congfeng Jiang, Wei Zhang, Jilin Zhang, Ritai Yu, Changping Lv. An Event Based GUI Programming Toolkit for Embedded System. IEEE APSCC 2010, Hangzhou, Dec. 2010.
22. Congfeng Jiang, Xianghua Xu, Jian Wan, Jilin Zhang, Yunfa Li. Java Multi-Threaded Based Parallel Remote Sensing Image Interpretation in Desktop Grid, ChinaGrid 2010, Guangzhou, Jul. 2010.
23. Yunfa Li, Wanqing Li, Congfeng Jiang. A Survey of Virtual Machine System: Current Technology and Future Trends. ISECS2010, Huangshan, Jul. 2010.
24. Congfeng Jiang, Xianghua Xu, Jian Wan, Jilin Zhang, Xindong You, Ritai Yu. Power aware job scheduling with QoS guarantees based on feedback control, IEEE/ACM IWQoS 2010, Beijing, Jun. 2010.
25. Congfeng Jiang, Yinghui Zhao. Online Power Measurement and Prediction of PCs. AMT2010, Sanyan, May 2010.
26. Congfeng Jiang, Yinghui Zhao and Jian Wan. Towards Dynamic Voltage/Frequency Scaling for Power Reduction in Data Centers. ITMS2010, Macau, Jan. 2010.
27. Congfeng Jiang, Jian Wan, Xianghua Xu, Yunfa Li, and Xindong You. Power Management Challenges in Virtualization Environments. DMTF SVM 2009, Wuhan, Sep. 2009.
28. Liu, X.H., Congfeng Jiang, K.Y. Sze, Cheng Wang. Online Cloth Virtual Fitting Room Based on a Local. Cluster. NISS 2009, 2009.07.
29. Xindong You, Xianghua Xu, Jian Wan, Congfeng Jiang. Analysis and Evaluation of the Scheduling Algorithms in Virtual Environment. ICESS 2009, 2009.05.
30. Congfeng Jiang, Yuan Daomin, Yinghui Zhao. Towards clustering algorithms in wireless sensor networks-a survey, IEEE WCNC2009, Budapest, Apr. 2009.
31. Congfeng Jiang, Yinghui ZHAO. GOVFiR: Grid computing based Online Virtual Fitting Room. CSSE 2008, Wuhan, Dec. 2008.
32. Congfeng Jiang, Xianghua Xu, Jian Wan, Xindong You. Energy Management for Microprocessor Systems: Challenges and Existing Solutions. IITA 2008, Shanghai, Dec. 2008.
33. Xianghua Xu, Jialai Huang, Jian Wan and Congfeng Jiang. An Integrated Method for Text Information Retrieval. SKG 2008, Beijing, Dec. 2008.
34. Xianghua Xu, Jialai Huang, Jian Wan and Congfeng Jiang. A Method for Measuring Semantic Similarity of Concepts in the Same Ontology. IMSCCS 2008, Shanghai, Oct. 2008.
35. Congfeng Jiang, Xianghua Xu, Jian Wan.Grid Computing Based Large Scale Distributed Cooperative Virtual Environment Simulation. IEEE CSCWD 2008, Xi’an, Apr. 2008.
36. Jianhua Xiao, Jin Xu, Zehui Shao, Congfeng Jiang and Linqiang Pan. A Genetic Algorithm for solving Multi-Constrained Function Optimization Problems Based on KS Function. IEEE CEC2007, Singapore, Sep. 2007.
37. Congfeng Jiang, Cheng WANG, Xiaohu LIU, Yinghui ZHAO. A Fuzzy Logic Approach for Secure and Fault Tolerant Grid Job Scheduling, Lecture Notes in Computer Science Vol.4610 (ATC 2007), Hong Kong, Jul. 2007.
38. Congfeng Jiang, Cheng WANG, Xiaohu LIU, Yinghui ZHAO. Adaptive Replication Based Security Aware and Fault Tolerant Job Scheduling for Grid Computing. ACIS SNPD 2007, Qingdao, Jul.2007.
39. Congfeng Jiang, Cheng WANG, Xiaohu LIU, Yinghui ZHAO. A Survey of Job Scheduling in Grids, Lecture Notes in Computer Science Vol.4505 (APWeb2007), Huangshan, Jun. 2007.
40. Xiaohu LIU, Congfeng Jiang, Cheng WANG, Yinghui ZHAO. Reputation Based Job Scheduling in Desktop Grids, GCA2007, Singapore, Jun. 2007.